Growing it, cooking it, eating it! From the vegetable patch to the dinner table
Put off by the origin-unknown, not-so-fresh, pesticide-laden herbs at the grocery store? Hungry for delicious high-quality vegetables and fragrant herbs, and looking to have some control over where your food comes from but you’re a novice gardener?
Foodie meets novice gardener in this deliciously accessible, easy-to-use guide to planting, growing, harvesting, cooking, and preserving 20+ popular, easy-to-grow vegetables and herbs. Taking the novice gardener from growing herbs and vegetables to cooking delicious, nutritious, and affordable meals using these herbs and vegetables, this book is a celebration of food in all its stages.
The Food Lover's Garden guides novice gardeners through:
- Getting started with easy step-by-step growing instructions from balcony to backyard
- Simple, tasty cooking recipes incorporating each vegetable and herb
- Meal combinations of two or more of the featured herb and vegetable dishes
- Selecting essential kitchen tools and gadgets to maximize the herb and vegetable harvesting
- Canning and pickling recipes for preserving the rest.
Beautifully illustrated with author's water colour sketches and photographs from her herb and vegetable garden, this book is perfect for the foodie and novice gardener—from the humble potato, to pungent garlic, to the beauty of the beet, classic vegetables take a delicious turn with innovative cooking recipes. Truly food for all seasons and palates.
Foodies, novice gardeners, urban homesteaders, and supporters of sustainable living—take back your right to high-quality food with The Food Lover's Garden.
Jenni Blackmore is a writer, painter, micro-farmer, and certified Permaculture Design Consultant. Her most recent book Permaculture for the Rest of Us follows her journey from industrial Manchester to Quackadoodle Farm, a sustainable homestead in Nova Scotia.
In the Beginning
IN THE GARDEN
1. Deep Down 'n Dirty: Getting Started in the Garden
What Plants Need
What Soil Needs
Creating Garden Beds
What to Grow
2. Potatoes & Leeks
How to Grow a Potato
3. Beets & Greens
4. Squash & Garlic
Summer and Winter Squash
5. Beans & Onions
6. Tomatoes & Cucumbers
IN THE KITCHEN
8. Gifts & Gizmos: Getting Started in the Kitchen
Stocking the Pantry
Terms & Skills—Cooking like a Pro
9. Now We're Cookin': with Leeks & Potatoes
Making a Meal—with Leeks & Potatoes
Potato Leek Soup
Dressing up Potatoes
10. Super Salads & Beautiful Beets
Harvesting Greens—a Reminder
11. Garlic & Onions, Squash & Beans
Garlic & Onions
12. Cukes & Tomatoes
13. Herbs: A Magical Mystery Tour
14. Old Reliables: Sunchokes, Egyptian Onions, Rhubarb & Blackcurrants
15. Harvest Time: Preserving the Garden's Gifts
Cold Room Storage
Pickling and Canning
A Cautionary Tale
Jams and Jellies
Time for Tea and Cake — Gathering Poppy Seeds
About The Author
A Note About The Publisher