Unleash the potential of your yard by transforming it into a beautiful and vibrant space offering a continuous supply of food
Journey into the good food movement by unleashing the potential of your yard, transforming it into a beautiful and vibrant space that offers a continuous supply of food.
Using dozens of beautiful color photographs and watercolor planting charts, infographics, and landscaping designs, Your Edible Yard is the comprehensive how-to guide you need to turn your yard into a bountiful feast.
- Practical gardening methods and maintenance from weeding to wintering, including foodscaping, container gardening, and saving seeds
- Permaculture principles including soil building techniques, garden preparation, raised beds, and natural/non-toxic DIY pesticide alternatives
- How to integrate culinary and medicinal herbs, edible flowers, mushrooms, fruits, vegetables, and wild edibles
- Gardening resources: where to go for help, buy seeds, and source supplies on a budget
- Instructions on preserving, fermenting, freezing, drying, and making simple medicines
- General tips, such as how to find loopholes in laws preventing edible front yards.
Whether you're a beginner or experienced gardener in the city, the suburbs, or the country, this manual is the A-Z guide for how to make use of the space you have, highlighting the colorful and abundant array that edible landscapes promise.
Dedication and Acknowledgments
Chapter 1: The Detriment of the Lawn Obsession
Chapter 2: It Shouldn't Be a Crime to Grow Vegetables!
Chapter 3: Building Healthy Soils with Compost and Vermicompost
Chapter 4: Permaculture in Your Yard/Bed Prep
Chapter 5: Your Edible Yard — Natural Alternatives to Herbicides and Pesticides
Chapter 6: Choosing the Right Plants
Chapter 7: Edible Landscaping Designs
Chapter 8: Edible Landscape Showcase
Chapter 9: Yard-to-Table Recipes and Preserving the Harvest
Chapter 10: DIY Herbal Remedies and Recipes
About the Author
A Note about the Publisher