Transformative justice seeks to solve the problem of violence at the grassroots level, without relying on punishment, incarceration, or policing. Community-based approaches to preventing crime and repairing its damage have existed for centuries. However, in the punative atmosphere of contemporary criminal justice systems, they are often marginalized and operate under the radar. Beyond Survival puts these strategies front and center as real alternatives to today’s failed models of confinement and “correction.”
In this collection, a diverse group of authors focuses on concrete and practical forms of redress and accountability, assessing existing practices and marking paths forward. They use a variety of forms—from toolkits to personal essays—to delve deeply into the “how to” of transformative justice, providing alternatives to calling the police, ways to support people having mental health crises, stories of community-based murder investigations, and much more. At the same time, they document the history of this radical movement, creating space for long-time organizers to reflect on victories, struggles, mistakes, and transformations.
1. "Building Community Safety: Practical Steps Toward Liberatory Transformation"
2. "Beyond Firing: How do we create community-wide accountability for sexual harassment in our movements?" Amanda Aguillar Shank
3. "Isolation Cannot Heal Isolation: One Survivors Response to Sexual Assault" Blyth Barnow
4. "Summary Statement Re: Community Accountability Process (March 2017") BYP 100
5. "On running community-based murder investigations and resisting violence against Indigenous women: An interview with Audrey Huntley" by Everyday Abolition
6. "What To Do When You’ve Been Abusive – Annotated Edition" Kai Cheng Thom
7. "Transformative Witness" Amita Swadhin
Part 2: We Got This: Toolkits and Roadmaps
8. "Philly Stands Up Portrait of Praxis: An Anatomy of Accountability." Esteban Lance Kelly & Jenna Peters-Golden with Qui Alexander, Bench Ansfield, Beth Blum, and Dexter Rose of Philly Stands Up! Collective
9. "Goal Setting Tool" Creative Interventions
10. Excerpts from "Ending Child Sexual Abuse: A Transformative Justice Handbook" Staci Haines, Raquel Laviña, Chris Lymbertos, RJ Maccani, and Nathaniel Shara
11. "Pods and Pod Mapping Worksheet Bay Area Transformative Justice Collective"
12. "When it All Comes Crashing Down: Navigating Crisis." The Icarus Project
13. "Why no non-consensual active rescue?" Trans Lifeline
14. "Maybe you don’t have to call 911? Know your options," Oakland Power Projects
15. Excerpts from the "Whose Security Is It Anyway? Toolkit," Lara Brooks and Mariame Kaba
16. Excerpt from "Community Defense Zone Starter Guide" Mijente
17. Excerpts from the "Safer Party Toolkit Safe Outside the System Collective," Audre Lorde Project
18. "Transforming the Medical Industrial Complex," Cara Page & Susan Raffo
19. "A Compass in the Wilderness: Values in Transformative Justice Work" Mia Mingus
Part 3: We didn't call it TJ but maybe it worked anyway? Messy, real stories
20. "When Your Money Counts On It: Sex Work and Transformative Justice" By Monica Forrester and Elene Lam interviewed by Chanelle Gallant
21. "I Would Like to Return My TJ Process: Or Discarding TJ like we Discard Femmes" Ejeris Dixon
22. "Vent Diagrams As Healing Practice: TJ Tips From the Overlap" Elisabeth Long
23. "Undoing Shame and Getting to Sorry" Nathaniel Sharma
24. "Cripping TJ" Leah Lakshmi Piepzna-Samarasinha
25. "What Isn’t Transformative Justice?" adrienne maree brown.
26. "Building New Worlds," TGI Justice Project
Part 4: What Did We Dream Then, What Do we Know Now? Movement Histories and Futures
27 "Our Hearts Are Beating Together: A Conversation with Some TJ Old Heads" -Yalini Dream, Alexis Pauline Gumbs, Adrian Cole and Jenna Peters-Golden
28. "Every Mistake I’ve Ever Made: An interview with Shira Hassan"
29. "Be Humble: Interview with Mariame Kaba"
30. "Moving Beyond Critique," Mimi Kim
31. "How We Learned (Are Learning) Transformative Justice" adrienne maree rrown