An engaging, inclusive history of the world for children, where feelings, curiosity, and facts blend together
Big Ideas from History is the story of what has happened through time - in a voice that speaks directly to a child's growing mind, helping them make vast connections between time and place, and their own place within history.
What might the dinosaurs or the ancient Egyptians, the Aztec warriors or the Enlightenment thinkers of the 18th century tell us that could be interesting and useful to hear now? This book is a big history of the world, from the beginnings of the universe to now, which places the reader at its center. It encourages children to think about how they experience the world and offers a helpful perspective by placing their thoughts and feelings in the context of our history and evolution.
Big Ideas From History asks the reader to imagine a world they would like to live in. What might they learn from self-knowledge? How can they grow, develop and create their own place in history? Charming, thoughtful, and written with warmth and intelligence, this is the perfect gift for the curious child.
- BIG IDEAS FROM HISTORY: Spanning the ages in an easy-to-follow way, this latest edition to the "Big Ideas" series covers Prehistory, Ancient History, The Middle Ages, Industrialization, The Modern World and The Future.
- KIDS WILL LOVE ENGAGING WITH THIS BOOK: As one example, readers young and old alike can ponder items like "What the ideal school would be like" or "How to teach people to be great at telling jokes" in the section titled "Big Questions We Don't Know the Answer For (Yet)".
- WRITTEN FOR KIDS: Makes history fascinating and relevant to children and renders complicated material accessible to a younger audience without condescension.
- CONVERSATION WILL FLOW BETWEEN CHILDREN AND THEIR GROWN-UPS: An engaging way to open up conversations between adults and children about thoughts and feelings.
- BEAUTIFUL ILLUSTRATIONS BY ANNA DOHERTY: We see two characters traversing the history of the world, bringing it vibrantly to life.
- FOLLOW UP TO THE BEST-SELLING BIG IDEAS FOR CURIOUS MINDS
"An entertaining and insightful history exploring what our children can learn from the past." - Dan Jones, bestselling author and historian
"This history book takes an innovative approach. It asks what history is for, and answers that question by explaining how understanding history helps you in your own life [...] The text is accurate, clear, and friendly and accompanied by illustrations and photos, making this an attractive and genuinely inspiring book." - Andrea Reece, Love Reading 4 Kids
"Thorough, in-depth, enticingly illustrated, and thought-provoking, Big Ideas from History covers a diverse selection of civilizations and cultures. It doesn't simply explain the where, who and when; it focuses on the how and the why; and prompts children to think critically ... this is the perfect 'big' book present for a curious upper primary or lower secondary-aged child." - School Reading List
"This book is awesome! As someone who loves history, I think every person should read this while growing up. It really gives a broad but concise view [of] the major moments in history. While everything isn't mentioned, nor should it, since I think this book gravitates towards children. This book honestly gives a more basic and honest look at the world and its cultures, events and people than most college text books that I have read." - Edelweiss review
"This book does a good job of covering several topics in a short amount of time. I particularly enjoyed when the book discussed evolution and how slowly the process went. Another great part was the explanation of how the physical features of people have changed over thousands of years, based on the journeys that they made from their original families and locations. Students will be able to learn a great deal from this book, as it clearly defined terms that they may be unfamiliar with." – NetGalley review