How to distill your own premium alcohol safely and legally.
Many people have experienced great success making their own beer or wine at home. In recent years a number of hobbyists have become interested in making distilled spirits. However, distilled spirits are more complicated to produce, and the process presents unique safety issues. In addition, alcohol distillation without a license is illegal in most countries, including the United States and Canada.
From mashing and fermenting to building a small column still, Craft Distilling is a complete guide to creating high-quality whiskey, rum and more at home. Experienced brewer, distiller and self-reliance expert Victoria Redhed Miller shares a wealth of invaluable information including:
- Quality Spirits 101: Step-by-step recipes and techniques
- Legal Liquor: An overview of the licensing process in the U.S. and Canada
- Raising the Bar: Advocacy for fair regulations for hobby distillers.
This unique resource will show you everything you need to know to get started crafting top-quality spirits on a small scale-and do it legally. Sure to appeal to hobbyists, homesteaders, self-sufficiency enthusiasts, and anyone who cares about fine food and drink, Craft Distilling is the ideal offering for independent spirits.
Foreword,by Gene Logsdon
Introduction: The Accidental Activist
1. Why Make Your Own Liquor?
2. A Revenooer Walked into a Nanaimo Bar
3. Making Liquor Legally at Home
4. The Basic Principles of Distillation
5. Building a Small Column Still
6. Your "Home" Distillery
7. The Economics of Distilling Your Own Liquor
8. Mashing Grains
10. Overview of the Distilling Process and Techniques
14. Malt Whiskey
15. Irish Whiskey
16. Other Kinds of Whiskey
17. Tequila and Sunchoke Spirit
18. Don't Be So Immature: Aging Small-batch Spirits
19. Brandy, Liqueurs and Other Excuses to Spend More Time in the Stillhouse
20. Handmade Bitters
21. Making Your Own Mixers
22. Putting It All Together: Classic Cocktail Recipes Featuring Your Homemade Spirits
23. Other Uses for Your Distillation Skills
24. The Farm Distillery
25. The Case for Making Non-commercial Distilling Legal
26. Let's Raise the Bar: The Future of True Craft Distilling
Appendix A: Useful Resources
Appendix B: Resources for Information on Distilling in Canada.
Appendix C: Sample Record-keeping Form
About the Author
- Independent Publisher Book Award How-to category